Saturday, June 27, 2009

Top 10 things every bride should do...


As a newlywed AND a wedding planner, I often get asked what my most valuable advice is for the bride-to-be, and what I have learned through planning my own wedding and others. I don't want to be one of those pessimistic girls dwelling on what could have been, as I honestly did have an amazing wedding day. However, I can look back on my big day and openly admit that there were flaws, however minor they were, that could have been avoided. In the interest of saving other brides-to-be from some equally avoidable obstacles, I compiled a list of the 10 things I would do if I could do it all over again.

Indeed, some brides are no-fuss, no-muss and may not be bothered with the list. I can guarantee, however, that if you're anything like me (a detailed oriented, crafty and creative gal dreaming about the perfect day) that this list is a valuable tool that could save you much duress and emotional pain. Some are things I did in fact do, and am so happy to have incorporated them into my wedding. Others are mistakes, misunderstandings and miscommunications that can easily be avoided with a little forethought. And a few I've learned from helping brides along the way.

Here is the list, and over the next few days I'll break down each number into a lengthier post. Feel free to comment and add some of your best pieces of advice.

1. Expect the unexpected.

2. Be realistic about your bridesmaids.

3. When you find "the" dress, buy it.

4. Personalize your wedding.

5. Don't underestimate the value of photos and video.

6. Prepare for takeoff.

7. Accept that you WILL need help.

8. Be picky with your guest list.

9. Don't be a bridezilla.

10. Give yourself some time between the wedding and honeymoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment