Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Peacock Affair | Hello Bella Bridal Shower








Nothing makes my job more fun than when a hostess like Sandie comes along. Sandie, the sole bridesmaid/MOH for her best friend's wedding wanted to throw the bride a very special shower. Something as beautiful as it would be meaningful, and a party she would never forget.

A very pregnant Sandie left the design in my hands and let me run with it, and knowing that she was stylish and loved attention to detail as much as me made the planning process easy and exciting. (It's hard coming from a creative standpoint and having a vision- if my clients don't share that vision or have dissimilar tastes, I of course work within their parameters- however it's much more rewarding getting to do something creative and pretty! So thank you Sandie!)

An eager and charming client wasn't the only part of this event that made it such a blast to design and plan. I lined up an excellent team of my favourite vendors knowing that they would share my vision, and boy they did not fall short! The shower was held at the renowned Italian Kitchen (part of the Glowbal Group) in the upstairs section that isn't used during the day (THANK YOU Italian Kitchen and our INCREDIBLE server/bartender Mark who let us take claim over the entire upstairs). Mark, by the way, was so amazing and made the most succulent mock mojito I have ever ever tasted. Vanilla Apple Mojito - To. Die. For (definitely stealing this drink recipe for my upcoming housewarming). Ok, sorry about that little tangent- back to my amazing vendors!

Once deciding on our colour scheme I phoned up my florist Kari of Ah Perfect Petals. Kari is a hidden gem in a world of countless florists, and if you're lucky enough to work with her you'll know what I mean. She really really cares about her clients and that is so pivotal in a client/vendor relationship. And her flowers- oh her flowers! Her creative eye is spot on and her design skills impeccable. I sent her about 5 inspiration photos prior to the shower, some outrageously intricate, and some more simple. She absolutely blew the roof off of any expectations I had, and I can't thank Kari enough for her part in creating this gorgeous event.

Another vendor I love to work with (and who you'll probably see often on my blog and facebook page) is Anna of Anna Elizabeth Cakes. An up and comer with an incredible eye for detail, this young talent is sure to garner a lot of attention in the cake world. I let her know the theme/colour scheme we were working with, and that same day she came back to me with an assortment of design renderings to help us decide on our cake design. I loved how our cake turned out, and her fondant work and handpainting is amazing. Her cakes are always original- no boring copies here! And if you think these cakes are just pretty, wait until you try one! She pays as much attention to what's on the inside as she does on the outside with flavours like vanilla bean cake soaked in raspberry simple syrup with rapsberry coulis with white chocolate buttercream. DELISH!

My vendor trifecta I've affectionately dubbed AAA (Ah Perfect Petals, Anna Elizabeth Cakes, and All Occassions) was rounded out by the wonderful rentals at All Occasions Chic Decor Rentals. Carolyn is awesome to work with, and was extremely accommodating with my last minute orders and changes! The gorgeous wishing tree, peacock feathers, brown and turquoise linens were all rented from All Occassions (pink runners were generously supplied by Kari of APP).

There's a slew of inspiration out there for peacock weddings/events. Both Sandie and I shared the vision that although the theme was peacock, we didn't want it to overwhelm and take away from everything else. A touch here, and splash there was all that was needed. In addition to the gorgeous jewel tones throughout the room, we used peacock feathers to accent the table settings and I designed a peacock menu inspired by a wedding invitation I spotted on etsy. The same peacock graphic was also echoed in the wishing tree notecards and the he said/ she said game cards. Sandie ordered customized Jones sodas online that featured a picture of the bride and groom and was a much enjoyed guest take home favour.

Well, that was a long so I shall stop here! Hope everyone enjoys their April and check back soon for more blog posts!


3 comments:

  1. Amazing ideas! Absolutely love the gorgeous centerpieces, cake and place settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!! LOVE the blues and purples together...oh so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete